A. HE IS GOD
Since there are those that deny his divinity but claim that He is just an influence flowing from the Father and the Son, we need to see from the Bible that He is indeed the third Person of the Godhead and, in essence, not less than the Father and the Son – He is GOD the Holy Spirit.
- But there are differences of gifts, but the same Spirit.And there are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are differences of workings, but it is the same God working all things in all. (1 Co 12:4 – 6).
The Spirit, the Lord and God are mentioned are mentioned on the same level in the distribution of spiritual gifts.
- Therefore go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (Mat 28:19).
A new-born person is to be baptized in the name of God whom he has accepted as his Lord and Master and since he is baptized not only in the Name of the Father and the Son, but also in the Name of the Holy Spirit, it follows that the Holy Spirit is God just as much as the Father and the Son.
- May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen. (2 Cor 13:14)
Again, the Holy Spirit’s Name is tied to those of the Father and the Son in a way that can only mean that He is equally seen as God.
- But Peter said, Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart for you to lie to the Holy Spirit, and to keep back part of the price of the land? While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own authority? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men, but to God. (Act 5:3, 4).
Lying to the Holy Spirit, is lying to God – the Holy Spirit is called God.
B. HE SUBMITS TO AND GLORIFIES THE FATHER AND THE SON
- But the Comforter, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things and bring all things to your remembrance, whatever I have said to you. (Joh 14:26).
- And when the Comforter has come, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He shall testify of Me. (Joh 15:26).
- However, when He, the Spirit of Truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth. For He shall not speak of Himself, but whatever He hears, He shall speak. And He will announce to you things to come. (Joh 16:13).
The Holy Spirit was sent to earth by the Father and the Son and He does not speak of himself but speaks whatever He hears.
- He will glorify Me, for He will receive of Mine and will announce it to you. (Joh 16:14).
C. NAMES OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
(Only a few are reflected below).
- The HOLY SPIRIT
Luk 11:13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?
This name emphasizes the moral character of the Spirit.
- The SPIRIT OF BURNING
… when the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from its midst by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning. (Isa 4:4)
The cleansing character of the Spirit is here emphasized.
- The SPIRIT OF TRUTH
However, when He, the Spirit of Truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth. For He shall not speak of Himself, but whatever He hears, He shall speak. And He will announce to you things to come. (Joh 16:13)
- The SPIRIT OF GRACE
Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy of punishment, the one who has trampled the Son of God, and who has counted the blood of the covenant with which he was sanctified an unholy thing, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? (Heb 10:29).
- The OIL OF GLADNESS
You have loved righteousness and hated iniquity, therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness above Your fellows.” (Heb 1:9).
- The COMFORTER/ADVOCATE
And when the Comforter has come, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He shall testify of Me. (Joh 15:26; See also 1 Joh 2:1)